Monday, October 03, 2005


Orphan Day and Staff Retreat!

It is hard for me to believe that a month has already passed since I first arrived in South Africa. I have had the opportunity to experience many wonderful things since arriving, but this past Monday topped them all. We spent a whole day with the orphans in Philippi. The kids had a week off of school so we planned a day filled with games, crafts, Bible lessons, snacks, singing, and a balloon toss. The picture that you see is Nontombi (6 years old) and I sitting in the schoolyard watching a group of orphans play football (soccer). It has been a joy watching Nontombi and the other kids grow and build relationships with each other. It is my prayer that they would be "family" for each other and build a strong network of love and support.
One moment that was particularly memorable from my day with the kids was standing in a circle singing a song called "Bambelela". This Xhosa word, Bambelela, means "never give up". The kids sang so loudly and as they sang I glanced around the circle at their faces, faces that are becoming more and more familiar to me. Each child has a story-- and all are stories of pain and obstacles to overcome. It was so powerful to hear them sing this song about perseverence and strength. I know that each of them could (and hopefully will) teach me a lot about reliance on God and trusting Him in the face of hardships.
On Tuesday we left for a staff retreat at Cape Agulhas, which is at the very Southern tip of Africa where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet. It was windy and a bit cold, but we were excited to see whales just off the coast and enjoy the beauty of the ocean. We bonded through sharing our testimonies and casting a vision for Bridges of Hope in the upcoming year.
Overall, it has been a great week of experiencing God through relationships-- with the orphans and with the staff whom I will be working with for the next year.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I love hearing your stories and seeing your pictures! These children are becoming ever more personal to me through your work, and I love that. God is good to raise up people to care for those who are so dear to his heart. May he bless your work!

|| davidjay || said...

So cute!!! :D and you should do your hair like that sometime!

God is good! Keep blessing those kids!

:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby,
I love these updates and can't wait to see you and those precious little kids. I may have to bring some of them home with me.
Love you so, so much!
Mom

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing woman Jennifer and I am proud to be your grandfather. Keep the good work up. Your grandma & I will say special prayers for you and the children Love you

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey! I am now using my nearly healed left hand and will try to keep up with you. Love your news and your joy with Bridges and those precious children. I am praying for you and it is so personal seeing and hearing all, it means a lot to us.
Love you...Grandma

Anonymous said...

Jen,
What an incredible journey you & the Lord are on together!! Thanks for the valuable updates on your many adventures in serving Him. We are so proud of you and your love for His children. You are continually in our prayers.
Love, Tom & Jackie G

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
Oh Honey, thank you for sharing all the ways God is working thru you and with you. It has been a privilege to pray for you and your darling children this past month. I have your picture along with Vuyiseka's posted on my prayer wall. Blessings to you...sweetie
Cheloyne Mosher