Tuesday, February 21, 2006



Pointing in the right direction ---->

To the left you see Ezile, one of the youngest orphans who comes to the support group on Fridays. She is a fireball of endless energy and enthusiasm. Lately, I have noticed something ironic and quite amazing. I came to South Africa to help the orphans grow in their relationship with God and try to do everything in my power to direct them closer to the Father, however, I have found that little Ezile and the other orphans have been the ones helping me grow and pointing me in the right direction (closer to God). Though I trust that the orphans have been learning and growing as well, I have been struck by all they have to teach (whether they are aware of it or not)!

I have been thinking a lot lately about the simplicity of these kids' faith. When we tell them stories about Jesus' life they are not prone to ask question after question, trying to analyze the probability of historical accuracy of the particular occurrence. No, they simply trust. I know it is important to be discerning and wise in our quest for Truth, and that sometimes means questioning and probing deeper, but there is something to be said for the child-like faith and trust that these orphans demonstrate. They believe. They trust. It is as simple as that.

I think that sometimes we spend too much time and energy focusing on what we believe when we should be spending the time and energy thinking about how we live-- and actually living in a way that is pleasing to God. I think God cares more about how we are loving our neighbor than if we have worked out for ourselves a solid, impenetrable, theological framework. In this sense, the kids have gotten it right (and I, so often, get it wrong.) Christianity is about loving God and loving our neighbors. It is about faith, and trust. I pray we can all, by the grace of God, obtain a more child-like faith. I am thankful for precious Ezile who helps point me, and all of us, in the right direction!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I do agree that we need to practice what we preach, but I wonder how often we don't practice it because we don't actually believe it. We say a lot, but what we really believe comes through in what we do. You believe that the children of South Africa are children of God who deserve love and compassion, so you went to South Africa. Those of us here who believe that but can't go for one reason or another show that we care with our money and our prayers. The people you work with you are dying of AIDS can die with dignity because of the resurrection. If they didn't believe in it, then they wouldn't be able to have hope when they pass on to the Father. Thank you for your faithfulness and for putting faces to the names and people we are praying for in Africa!
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I am so excited to hear that you are doing well and it has been wonderful to seee how God has opened this opportunity to share the gospel with others. The team misses you...we are doing ok, we're 3-3 right now. We lost to Vangard a few days ago, it came down to Christina's 3rd set tiebreaker...it was super sad, but the team is staying positive! We're going to Hawaii with the team for spring break, the team is super pumped...I miss you tons and wish you were here, but i know God has a specific reason why He has brought you to Aftica.
Blessings,
Lorelei B.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, she's so adorable and so are you! MOM