Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Beautiful South Africa

Lately I have been profoundly aware of just how beautiful South Africa is! Last weekend I spent the day at the beach (pictured above) and enjoyed watching people play volleyball, wind surf, and casually walk along the waters edge.
These past few weeks I have spent the majority of my time working at the farm (Bridges Academy/Retreat Center), which is shown in the picture above. Each day that I drive out to the farm I am struck by the brilliant green of the vineyards and hills complemented by the magnificent blue sky. It is so beautiful!
This is a photo of some of the mountains ("hills" if you are from Colorado) that surround the town of Stellenbosch (where I live). At night, when the sun sets, the hills turn pink and purple against the darkening sky-- it is amazing! I have a view of these hills from the window of my flat just above my kitchen sink (which makes doing the dishes a little nicer)!
This is another picture of Bridges Farm where we have been spending a lot of our time painting, scraping, tiling, and remodeling to prepare it for the upcoming orphan retreat in December.
Above is a picture of the coastal route which runs along the Southern edge of South Africa. Tomorrow I am leaving for a long weekend get-away to enjoy this stretch of beach. Three friends and I are taking this road and stopping along the way to surf, eat at fun restaurants, enjoy leisurely walks on the beach, play volleyball, and maybe throw the frisbee around. Our final destination is a beach town down the coast. I am truly so blessed to live in this beautiful country and experience God's creation by going on road trips, hiking, backpacking, camping, working on the farm, and looking out of my kitchen window!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.
Love YOU!!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

looks a bit warmer than I remember

Anonymous said...

Those are great pictures! Your road trip sounds like it'll be a great time... Maybe you should stop by that fish restaurant that we drove by!