Sunday, May 20, 2007

A little of this, a little of that!


Above is a picture of my ideal morning scene. I got an espresso machine a while back and have really been enjoying a nice latte in the mornings (in my Starbucks mug, of course) and some quiet moments to just be still and think, pray, question, read, and dream. Sometimes we get fresh flowers from the local farmers market that really brighten up our apartment. I am really enjoying living in Santa Barbara. I appreciate the beauty of this city and all there is to see and do. Even more, however, I enjoy the people here-- old friends, new friends, families, and co-workers. I have loved the chance to get outside for a tennis match, a morning surf, a beach volleyball game, or the weekly, organized, 5-k run at the beach that draws over 100 people (last week a man running with a stroller full of three hefty triplets breezed past me mid-race! Needless to say, that was motivation enough to pick up the pace!! Giddy-up cowgirl!!)

The Bahamas! A few months ago a family that I know invited me to join them on a trip to the Bahamas to help watch their two little girls (ages 2 and 5). Above is a picture of the little 2 year old, Lucy. It was a business trip for the parents and so they needed someone to be with the girls while they were at meetings and corporate dinners. They twisted and twisted my arm until I finally agreed go (okay, okay I guess that is not how it actually happened-- I really didn't need that much convincing!) It was a week full of beach time, warm tropical weather, palm trees, fruity drinks, great food AND a crying 2-year-old, poopy diapers, more spills than I could have dreamed of, handfuls of spaghetti thrown at me, and morning wake-up calls at 6 a.m. (not from the hotel front desk, mind you, but from the cutie in the bed next to me yelling "potty time, Jen!!! I have to go potty!!!" :-) I am so glad that I went on the "vacation", but at the end of the week concluded that I am not quite ready for this whole "mom" thing. It's hard work!! I called my mom as soon as I got off the the plane in Santa Barbara and THANKED her profusely for raising me loving me in spite of the messes, crying, spills, and...did I mention MESSES?! Thanks Mom! :-)

Above is a photo of me with two of my co-workers at a recent "girls night out". I really love my job! Not only do I have many co-workers who I like, but I also have three clients (ages 5, 11, and 14) who I enjoy spending time with. Every day is different and has it's own set of drama and challenges. I like it that way-- keeps me on my toes! Most of my client's are working on goals revolving around anger management, school-attendance, and household compliance. My job is to meet with them daily and provide tools to help them reach their goals. We provide sticker tracking charts and incentives for good behavior as well as lots of praise and encouragement for making good choices. Many of my days are filled with conversations about coping skills, self-soothing techniques, triggers, and feeling identification. I have come to really value the relationships that are developing and am encouraged by the change and growth that I see (however slow and gradual it may be sometimes).
So, that is a little snipit about what I have been up to and how I have been doing. I want to hear from YOU soon! :-)
* Here are some thoughts/subjects that have been on my mind that I hope to write about in upcoming entrees (and get your feedback on)

1) living in community
2) what it means to thirst for "living water"
3) grad school?
4) our global responsibility

No comments: