Monday, March 27, 2006


Brokenness
I am writing this morning with a very heavy heart. Tears have been burning at the back of my eyes all morning and my heart is a knot of anger and sadness. Every Monday morning we have a meeting with our Philippi committee and it was at this meeting that I heard some very sad news. I want to share with you this news so that you can be praying, as I am, for Zameka.
Zameka is a 10-year-old girl who has been attending the orphan support group for quite some time now (pictured above). Though she is not an orphan (her father, Zita, is alive, but living with AIDS) she is in need of support, care, and is considered a "vulnerable child" in the community due to her family situation. This vulnerability became strikingly evident as I learned this morning that she has been recently raped multiple times by a man in his late 20's who lives down the street from them. Apparently, this man had called Zameka to his home and given her money to go and buy cigarettes for him. Upon returning from the store, he locked her in his home and raped her. From what we can gather from Zameka it sounds like this has happened about three times. It was Friday morning that Zameka's aunt discovered that this was happening (she found blood in Zameka's underwear and noticed that she was suddenly very timid and uncomfortable when bathing). Zameka tried to hide what had been happening until she finally broke down and told the truth, explaining to her aunt that this man threatened to kill her if she told anyone about what was going on between them.
I feel sick. I am so angry. This is a precious girl who I have come to love dearly and now she is so hurt and possibly scarred for life because of the actions of a selfish man. I think of her poor father who is obviously so angry. He has been crying and in his brokenness trying to figure out how to deal with the rage that consumes him. A neighbor found a gun in his home and was quick to remove it as she feared Zita was planning revenge. I think of how hurt and angry our Father in heaven must be to see his daughter being abused and scarred in this way.
Zameka's aunt has turned this man into the police and they are going to a preliminary court meeting today. The fear is that he will be released back into the community until the official trial or court hearing is scheduled. Zameka is understandably very scared. She has been to the clinic and will hopefully be receiving medication for the next month which has been shown to prevent the transmission of HIV/AIDS. We don't know the status of the man who raped her, but are concerned that he may have AIDS. Zameka will also be receiving counseling from the Red Cross.
Please pray for Zameka. Pray for her healing. Pray for her father, Zita, and that he will be able to deal with his rage in a healthy way. Pray for justice to be done in this situation. Pray for the safety of Zameka and her family as we don't know if this man will be held in custody or not. Please pray that Zameka would not be overcome with fear but would be experience the deep love of her heavenly Father and a peace that passes all understanding.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless Zameka and her family. May he use this tragic incident to bring them closer to him and heal this precious child. I am so sorry for the horrible events and pray for all of you to surround her with much love and security.
Plonkey

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

I am updating myself on all of your recent blogs, and they are very heart breaking and encouraging. I will be continueing to pray for these situations. You are such an encouragement to me, to be able to see your heart (from your writing) for these children. I pray for your strength and intimacy as you walk and learn about our mighty God. How blessed we are.

Danny and I are going to Thailand for 2 weeks with a small group, on a missions trip. It will be mostly meeting the needs of a church there. We are very excited!

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I have been thinking of lament a lot lately, about how we do not have a place for lament in our churches, and I have been lamenting over this tragedy. At the same time, I have been praying and trusting in the peace of Christ.
I also want to wish you a wonderful first African birthday! May your day be filled with love and joy, and know that we are all celebrating with you!
Danielle